Casting Process Comparisons
- Extremely fine sand is 'vacuum packed' around pattern halves.
The pattern is removed and metal poured into cavity. The vacuum
is released and the casting removed.
- Treated sand is molded around a wood or metal pattern. The mold
halves are opened and the pattern removed. Metal is poured into the
cavity. The mold is broken and the casting removed.
|Investment (Lost Wax)
Castings - A metal mold makes wax replicas. These
are joined and surrounded by an investment material. Wax is melted
out and metal is poured into the cavity. The molds are broken and
the casting removed.
|Permanent Mold Castings
- Molten metal is poured into a steel mold. The mold is opened and
the casting is ejected.
|Plaster Mold Castings
- A plaster slurry is poured into the pattern halves. After setting,
the mold is removed from pattern, baked, assembled and metal poured
into the cavity. The mold is broken and the casting removed.
- Steel dies, sometimes water cooled, are filled with molten aluminum.
The metal solidifies, the die is opened and the casting ejected.